Bryan County, Georgia’s 16th, was formed from parts of Chatham County. It was named for Jonathan Bryan, a member of the King’s Council who accompanied Oglethorpe and was an early critic of oppressive English rule.
Fort Argyle, established by General Oglethorpe on the Ogeechee River in what is now Bryan County, was built to protect Savannah from Florida’s Spaniards. It is on the National Register of Historic Places, as is Fort McAllister, a Civil War fort with the best preserved earthwork fabrications of the Confederate period.
Fort Stewart, a large U.S. Army training facility, completely divides the northern and southern portions of the county. The northern portion of the county is served by an east-west rail line and Interstate 16 which links Atlanta, Macon and Savannah. The southern portion is crossed by Interstate 95, which follows the coast from New York to Florida.
Henry Ford bought a home in Bryan County, Richmond Hill Plantation, in the 1920s. He provided health care and educational opportunities for many county residents. Also of interest to tourists are the Ford Kindergarten Building (1937), St. Anne’s Church (1925), and the Henry Ford Community House.
Annual special events in the county include the Fourth of July Barbecue, Picnic and Craft show; the Labor Day and Winter Musters; and the Memorial Day Confederate Re-enactment.
For technical assistance Sonny Emmert at 912-264-7218