Chatham County, the third county formed in Georgia, was created from what had been Christ Church Parish and part of St. Phillip’s Parish, dating from 1758. The county was named for one of England’s most celebrated prime ministers, William Pitt, the Earl of Chatham.
Located at the mouth of the Savannah River, Chatham County includes the site on which General James Oglethorpe landed in 1733 to establish the Georgia Colony, in Savannah. The city is now home to a National Historic Landmark District of 2.5 square miles, and more than 1,100 architecturally significant buildings. The Victorian District is one of the nation’s largest collections of that period’s architecture.
Savannah hosts the second largest St. Patrick’s Day parade and celebration in the U.S., as well as the Savannah Book Festival, the Savannah Film Festival, and the Savannah Music Festival.
For technical assistance contact Sonny Emmert at 912-264-7218