Effingham County was created in 1777 from the colonial parishes of St. Matthew and St. Philip. Georgia’s fourth county, it was named for Lord Effingham, an English nobleman who was a colonial rights advocate and who refused to take up arms against the revolutionaries. Effingham County is one of the oldest settlement areas in America. The Lutheran Salzburg community established in 1734 at Ebenezer was the second settlement in Georgia. Ebenezer is German for “Stone of Help”.
The Savannah River, which forms the county’s eastern border, separates Effingham from South Carolina.
There are several buildings and sites on the National Register of Historic Places in the county. These include the Effingham County Courthouse, the New Hope AME Church, the Guyton-Whitesville Historic District, the Jerusalem Church, and the New Ebenezer Town site.
For technical assistance contact Sonny Emmert at 912-264-7218