Long County as created in 1920 from parts of Liberty County. Georgia's 157th county was named for Dr. Crawford W. Long, the Georgian responsible for introducing anesthesia to modern medical practice. The county seat, and sole incorporated municipality, is Ludowici. Ludowici was named to honor a German immigrant, William Ludowici, who contributed substantially to the construction of the county high school.
Some sites of historical significance are the Ludowici Well Pavilion (1907), the Jones Creek Baptist Church (1856), and the Walthourville Presbyterian Church (1884).
Originally a trail used by Indians, Old Barrington Road became an important trade route between the Carolinas and Florida in the early 1700s. It also was critical during the Revolutionary War for the troop movements.
The northeastern tip of Long County is occupied by part of the sprawling U.S. Army installation, Fort Stewart, which also occupies significant portions of the neighboring counties.
The Altamaha River forms the boundary between Long and its southern neighbor, Wayne County.
One exciting special event held annually is the Long County Wildlife Festival, held in Ludowici each October.
(information obtained on March 2, 2011 at http://longcounty.georgia.gov/05/article/0,2680,8871170_7355477_11812585...)
For technical assistance contact Sonny Emmert at 912-264-7218