Coastal Resources Division
Georgia Department of Natural Resources
One Conservation Way, Brunswick, GA 31520
Glynn County, located on the Atlantic coast south of the Altamaha River, is one of Georgia’s original eight counties. It was created in 1777 from 423 square miles of land formerly held by Creek Indians. Glynn County is named for John Glynn, a member of the British Parliament and a friend of the colonies who once held the position of Sergeant of London. Brunswick is the county’s only municipality and serves as the county seat. The city was named in honor of England’s King George III, who was of the House of Brunswick.
Brunswick was among the fifteen cities that built Liberty Ships during World War II. A 23-foot replica of the Liberty Ship is now in Mary Ross Waterfront Park in Brunswick. Another historic site in the county, the Hofwyl-Broadfield Plantation, is a state-run park. It is a classic example of a nineteenth century rice plantation.
Glynn County is home to several annual festivals and cultural events. Brunswick hosts an Old Town Tour of Homes, a King Fish Tournament, and the Blessing of the Shrimp Fleet. Jekyll Island hosts an Art Festival, a Beach Music Festival, and a Bluegrass festival.
For technical assistance contact Kelly O'Rourke at 912-264-7218