The Georgia Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is excited to announce a free, family-friendly kids saltwater fishing event to be held on Saturday, June 3, 2023. This event aims to introduce children ages 5 to 12 to the joys of fishing while promoting a love for nature and conservation.
DNR's Coastal Resources Division (CRD) is hosting the event at Liberty Ship Park in Brunswick from 8:30 a.m. to noon, providing a fun-filled day of saltwater fishing adventures for children and families. Participants do not need a fishing license, but registration is required. Designed to be educational and entertaining, this event offers an excellent opportunity for families to bond and enjoy a day of outdoor recreation together.
June 3, as well as June 10 and September 23, are “free fishing days” in Georgia, meaning no fishing license, trout license or Lands Pass is required statewide. All waters of the state are open for free fishing, but anglers must be Georgia residents to take advantage of these annual free fishing days. All other fishing regulations still apply.
Highlights of the Kids Saltwater Fishing Event include:
- Fishing Instruction: CRD marine biologists and staff will be on hand to provide basic fishing instruction, teaching children the essentials of knot tying, casting, reeling, and baiting their hooks. The event also features training in angler ethics and best practices.
- Tackle and Bait: All necessary fishing equipment, including rods, reels, tackle, and bait, will be provided free of charge.
- Safety and Supervision: The event will prioritize the safety of all participants. DNR Law Enforcement Division game wardens will be present throughout the event to ensure a safe and enjoyable experience for everyone.
- Fish Species: The saltwater fishing event will offer opportunities to catch a variety of fish species local to the area. Participants will have the chance to reel in a memorable catch and learn about local marine life.
- Free Lunch: CRD will provide participants and families with hot dogs, chips and a drink.
"We are thrilled to host this free, family-friendly kids saltwater fishing event," said Cate Williams, CRD marine educator and event organizer. "Our goal is to inspire the next generation of anglers while fostering a deeper appreciation for nature and conservation. We invite families to join us for a day of fishing, learning, and creating lasting memories."
The Kids Saltwater Fishing Event is open to all children accompanied by an adult. No previous fishing experience is required. Participants are encouraged to register in advance to secure their spot, as space is limited. No same-day registration is available.
For more information, contact Cate Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org or 912-264-7218.